Saturday, September 12, 2009

Teaching Kids About Healthy Eating Choices Looney Tunes Eating Right Campaign

While healthy eating remains a top priority for parents, childhood obesity continues to be a growing issue. It's simply not realistic to believe that kids will shun all junk foods but we can help them to balance the empty nutrients with a big dose of healthy good for you foods.

This week Warner Brothers and MomLogic are asking the following questions that have to do with teaching kids healthy choices

How do you teach your kids about healthy eating choices? What works for your family?

These were some questions that I had to really think about this week. I am always trying to get Golfergirl to eat healthy. She does make some choices on her own. She only drinks water, milk or kool aid. She does not drink soda at all. She says it is gross. The problem is she will be drinking her water while she eats all the chocolate she can get her hands on and chips. She never was to happy about eating her vegetables. This summer I had an idea that since I was not working we would plant a garden. This way she would have a hand in raising the veggies so maybe she would be better at eating them. She was so excited to begin this process. She got to help pick out all of the items that were planted. She thought she was so big getting to help make these decisions. We ended up planting , Tomato's, corn, peppers, lettuce, cucumbers, squash and several other veggies.

Golfergirl worked in the garden almost everyday. She could not wait for the veggies to be ready to pick. Now, she did not like all of the veggies that we planted. I was not expecting her to but the important thing was that she tired each of them. She learned that she loves tomato's, and peppers. Before the garden she would not even try them.

I would recommend planting a garden to everyone. I have gotten a lot closer to Golfergirl since I we have been working on this project. It gave us some one on one time and we talked about what it takes to get a garden to grow. She looked up information on the Internet and would be sure what kind of fertiliser that was needed for each veggie. She was very into it this year and can not wait to do it again next year.

This is what works for our family. Let me know what works with yours. I am always looking for more ideas because she will still chose fries over apple slices every time at the fast food restaurants.



7 comments:

  1. Absolutely, I did the same things years ago when I decided to become a master gardener and then my kids revolted and would eat the food I was growing. As soon as they were included and grew the veggies, things changed. They now have very developed palates and love everything! Nice post! Howdy from SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the whole growing veggies thing, nothing like home grown wisdom! Over from SITS, happy sunday x

    ReplyDelete
  3. all i know is my tween only eats quesadillas or other variations of cheese/bread. so stick with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to drop in and say hello!
    I'm following you from MBC.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm definitely thinking of planting a small garden next year, I think my daughter will really like growing our own foods.

    Following you from MBC...
    http://thanksmailcarrier.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. A garden is on your list for next spring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yeah, gardening have a lot of advantages more than the disadvantages.

    ReplyDelete